EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » What are you doing Now (Page 39)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 45 pages: 1  2  3  ...  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45   
Author Topic: What are you doing Now
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sponge:
quote:
Originally posted by Monkey:
Sponge, pheweee... I had visions of you living on marshmallow and cola bottle kebabs for the next week, washed down with vimto and tizer [Smile]

Monkey... now you have me paranoid... do you have a secret camera watching me?!
This is my typical stable diet... isn't that the basics you need to live on?! [Razz]

I thought basics were coffee, cigs and chocolate [Confused]
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aye, but Sponge was thinking of sending her niece in. Would be alarmed if she came back with those [Smile]
Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glassflower
Member # 17950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glassflower     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I am loosing weight in America!...the meals are so big and cheap at restaurants and takeaways that I share with my daughter and not having a kitchen seems to be doing wonders! Nearly feeling confident with the driving - hopefully will hit the open road in the next few days....San Diago zoo and mexico here we come! [Smile]
Posts: 314 | From: australia | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
love San Diego zoo [Cool] you should try Knotts Berry Farms if you get a chance...good rides and great jellies and preserves, good shops
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marydot
Member # 15932

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for marydot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Summer time in london is just great .

we went to the london eye yesterday and walked all around london, ate ice cream together.

Took lots of photo's, walked from london brigde and got lost and could'nt find the tube station haha.

Walking in a thunderstorm was just great..had a great time inshallah many more times to come yet.

[Wink]

Posts: 1048 | From: If you are given a blessing you may be envied | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sponge
Member # 18715

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sponge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Aye, but Sponge was thinking of sending her niece in. Would be alarmed if she came back with those [Smile]

My niece is 21 so I reckon she'd be able to get those stables... And of course the coffee and chocolate are part of mine. I'll let my niece keep the cigs [Wink]

Bag of cheesy doritos and bag of Cadburys mini eggs for my Easter lunch today. Ooh I know how to live it up [Big Grin]

Will be off out soon to collect my Avon and then I can eat more rubbish cos I've have done some exercise [Big Grin] [Wink]

Posts: 171 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dubai Girl
Member # 15488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dubai Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't disappeared I'm just time poor. I normally only get a few minutes per day to go online and facebook normally wins. I really should get myself some sort of smartphone but then I might start neglecting my child and husband while giving people virtual pokes [Wink]

Now then Aisha and Exiled I am going to share the recipe. I have no idea how much it will differ to yours cos I haven't actually made it but it really is extra extra nice. FYI re Egyptian rice. I also thought you couldn't get it in the UK but you can. We use it as rice for making rice pudding which is a dessert dish. It's in the supermarket aisle where you find the flour and other stuff for baking. It's really expensive though in comparison to the long grain rice. We even managed to get the black lentils (3ads)in a health food shop.

Ok here goes

handful of pasta noodles (you can just break up dried spaghetti into small pieces)
1 cup of rice
1 cup of pasta
1 cup of black lentils (3ads)
1 onion

For the sauce
4 cloves of Garlic
1 tablespoon of vinegar
tomato paste or fresh tomatoes
Chilli Powder (amount depends on how spicy you want the sauce)
Salt and Pepper

Firstly you cook the rice, don't use Ghee, instead put 2 tablespoons oil in a pan and fry the noodles until the become a reddy gold colour, add your pre soaked rice, stir for 5 seconds, add 1 cup of water and cover the rice and simmer it on low hea until it is soft and all the water has absorbed, you can add more water if need be but the trick to good rice is do not stir it once the water has been added or it will become sticky

To cook the lentils, chop half an onion add it to a pan with 1 tablespoon of oil, fry for about one minute but don't allow the onion to change colour next add one cup of water, stir and then add your lentils, make sure the water is totally covering the lentils, cover and put on low heat. Keep an eye on it until the lentils are nearly cooked then you add salt and pepper, (one teaspoon of salt), continue to simmer, its important that the water doesnt go below the lentils as they will turn hard so you need to keep watching and add more water in necessary.

Next boil a pan of water with salt added and then when it's boiling add your pasta, cook until it's soft.

Now for the salsa

add one and a half tablespoons of oil to a large frying pan, crush your 4 cloves of garlic and add then, frying the garlic in the oil, do not let the garlic change colour, add your vinegar, then add your tomato paste (approx two tablespoons) stir for a bit, then add two tablespoons of water, keep stirring, next add half a teaspoon of salt and then your chilli powder, keep stirring and season to taste...voila your sauce is ready

Finally chop your remaining half an onion into rings, half them again, sprinkle a little salt over them, now in order for these to turn out properly and not taste like blackened charr you must put enough oil in the pan to submerge them totally, and once the oil is hot add your onions and then turn down the heat, keep frying them until they become a crisp brown..

mix your rice and pasta and lentils together, serve in a bowl, pour the salsa over the top and garnish with fried onions and then serve!

This was the exact recipe my mother in law gave us and it is so nice really tasty.

We usually always have vine tomatoes in the house as I make a lot of soup but on both occasions we just used tomato paste and it was lovely, i added dried crushed chillies to my sauce as i like an extra kick [Big Grin]

Posts: 500 | From: United Arab Emirates | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marydot
Member # 15932

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for marydot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Getting ready to go out walla [Smile]

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/marydotapple

Posts: 1048 | From: If you are given a blessing you may be envied | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marydot
Member # 15932

Member Rated:
I love spending all my time with my 7abibi [Smile]

--------------------

young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Easter Sunday was a bit of a disapointment as the weather was not particularly sunny or warm, so no garden or BBQ but still enjoyed the day and my white chocolate egg [Big Grin]
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@DG – thanks for the recipe, thought you shied away, forgetting you have a tight schedule and a little one [Smile] Will try your recipe when the koshari urge emerges again. As for differing from mine (which I got from a youtube video), it's all good, and that's one of the things I enjoyed about Koshari in Cairo. Many places had their own distinct koshari sauce as well as distinct shatah. Well I notice the difference, then again there are people who think there's no big difference (taste) between Coke and Pepsi.

I have the entire day ahead of me. My first order of business is to talk to condo management about our electric bill, which I looked at online last night. The consumption went from an average of 500-600 kWh per month to a whopping 2500 kWh this month - that is insane! Talking to management is actually the advice of my landlady who laughed when I called her last night, nothing personal, that's just her demeanor. Yeah, she said do that and if the meter turns out okay (not broken) then make a complaint at the electric company.

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Condo people did jack “no lah, elektrik problem must go TNB lah.” Made a call to electric company, complaining about high bill, and the lady explained it to me. She said “oh you understand, thank you, thank you, many people say, wah, wah, wah” I know she was just glad that I rolled over so easily. [Big Grin]

Okay here's how it goes and I think this problem is worldwide as some people in Egypt also notice anomalies in their bills. There are two kinds of readings → Estimate (E) and Manual

Jan 1, 2001 – April 1, 2011 the actual readings and costs were lower than they should be, so the 2500 kwh was not for April but rather for over-consumption for Jan-April 2011. Meaning our average consumption is not 500-600 but more like 900-1000 kwH per month. She asked “sir have you bought any new electric appliance from January 2011” - I was like NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! [Big Grin] We did, clothes dryer and convection oven.

I accept this because truly our electric bills have been low. 500-600 kWh per month is really nothing with the the ACs and everything else. Next month if the computer estimates our bill, we will be screwed. So the solution is to apply for self-meter-reading access, for the next bill anyway.

Anyway back to doing nothing [Big Grin]

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sponge
Member # 18715

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sponge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last lay in bed this morning until next Friday... now do I stay a little longer to make the most of it?! [Wink] [Razz]
Posts: 171 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pool was cordoned off for a private Easter party... pah! I do dislike it when there is a lack of signage prior to such events notifying people of things like this.

Hey ho... off to CS for some scran before my stomach thinks my throat has been cut!

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Looking up some info about driving a car to Singapore (causeway). Been to Singapore before but never drove own car there. It's maybe a 4-5 hour drive from here. Thinking of spending a few days down there with wifey. I want it to be special, not a surprise or anything like that but special. Maybe for May.

Tonight - might watch the movies didn't watch last night – went to bed early. Well it's 8pm here now, and I mention the time often because I know most of you are still in the morning hrs, this is literally the edge of the world. So may watch one movie → Double Indemnity, it's a classic from 1944 link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036775/

Dubai Girl
Member # 15488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dubai Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Celebrated Smelling the Breeze/Stinky Rotten Salted Fish day with about 50 other Egyptian families at a coptic monastry in Yorkshire. I even managed to eat a bit of Fisikh but it really is vile, I think you need a special gene to be able to digest it. [Razz] It was weird to see so many Egyptians at once in the UK and as per usual I was the only non Egyptian there, but in the usual Egyptian style every one was really friendly and talkative and constantly exclaiming over my daughter's blue eyes and blonde hair. Great end to a long weekend [Big Grin]
Posts: 500 | From: United Arab Emirates | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well we had hot smoked salmon with salad in the garden! Does that count [Big Grin]
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marydot
Member # 15932

Member Rated:
Looking at photo's we took at crystal palace park yesterday [Smile]

So tired tonight got in 12 am last night and had to get up at 6.30am this morning for work.Walla!!!

--------------------

marydot
Member # 15932

Member Rated:
Come on friday long weekend again [Smile]

--------------------

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am looking forward to another long weekend too MD... 3 on the trot!!! I swear Egyptians should have a holiday to celebrate how many holidays they have.

Season 4 of 24 to commence, that should keep me busy.

It is a windy ole night tonight, I am back under 2 duvets!!! ROLL ON SUMMER!

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desi
Member # 18819

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Desi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just surfin' on ebay...looking for a juke box for my sweetie for a house warming gift for his new house. [Smile]
Posts: 7 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is beyond a joke now, you open up ES and every forum looks the same coz every forum is spammed to death, only posting this to see something other than spam [Roll Eyes]

@desi, a juke box? Like the old fashioned type?

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
This is beyond a joke now, you open up ES and every forum looks the same coz every forum is spammed to death, only posting this to see something other than spam [Roll Eyes]

At least they're tidy. Jinpp does wonders for my OCD [Smile]
Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adelly
Member # 14574

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for adelly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Annoying for sure. Maybe jnpp can get together with pvc cling film girl and they can post their dramas here lmao.
Posts: 313 | From: maadi cairo | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
They could post a video of the wedding. I'm sure they know by now how to convert their avi files to video...
adelly
Member # 14574

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for adelly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And sell copies lmao
Posts: 313 | From: maadi cairo | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just finished converting my flv files and considering another conversion (avi into FCP) just after lunch time.
We had a wonderful time converting all our mpeg files to FCP yesterday evening, the kids wanted more files but we'd converted every single fvcking mpeg we've had.. [Frown]
We promised them more mpeg conversions once we get some by next monday.. [Cool]

Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Possible Spam Solutions:

1 – Make and exlusive Spam Forum titled “ES Spammers Please Spam Here → ” This probably won't be too effective as much of the spam generated on ES is via forum spambots (programs designed to register and spam forums *not human*)

2- Extend Shanta's moderating to all forums – but she will be overwhelmed and I'm sure she as a life.

3- Upgrade to newer software that has spambot prevention means.

4- No-Follow all links for new members until a member has been registered and active for 100 days.

Wishful thinking.

Off to play badminton, burn off calories from the sumptuous lunch, also preemption for the old fashioned pound cake that's baking in the oven. [Big Grin]

And not on xbox! HA!HA! [Big Grin]

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
They could post a video of the wedding. I'm sure they know by now how to convert their avi files to video...

Thats a point, will there be videos of the wedding on youtube do you think? I will miss it otherwise [Frown]
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
I'll take my camcorder with me. They let you take them into Westminster, right?

Only a day for this pesky invitation to turn up... damn, they are cutting it fine...

Can't you watch it on the bbc website? I'm sure they'll have a live stream.

I do know people who are travelling to London to watch it. You have to wonder what they're expecting to see, coz I'm thinking it won't be much bar the back of half a million heads. Personally, I wouldn't be there for toffee with the IRA kicking off again.

About the spam - just bump them off again.

young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
quote:

Thats a point, will there be videos of the wedding on youtube do you think? I will miss it otherwise [Frown]
Here's all the info Ayisha

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12920036

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Exiiled... I wish I could find somewhere to play badminton in Cairo.. I did post a request before but we never had any success. [Frown]

BBC stream live.. in Egypt! No such luck [Frown] If I could do that I would watch 2 pints [Wink]

Ayisha, CNN are showing the wedding on normal tv here... but I know I will be watching it on Sky News.

young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Royal Channel on YouTube it says further down.
Beautiful sunny day here. A bit of work and some gardening done. Time for a mug of tea and read a couple of chapters of my book outside (will I need sunscreen I wonder [Big Grin] )

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Thanks YaH, I will pass that info to folks here who aren't able to get it on TV... let's hope seeing as it is a Friday that the internet doesn't keep dropping out so they can watch it without it buffering every 3.3 seconds [Big Grin]

I went to lunch with my Syrian friend today who is overly excited about the wedding... [Big Grin] her son made me smile though as he is in a German school here and his teacher told him the Queen died ages ago and that it is the Kings son who is marrying. Who said a paid for education necessarily means better lmao! I am just happy I could correct, and his 'teacher'.

Another cloudy day in Cairo... but the wind has died down tahnkfully, the clatter banging last night was grim, why don't folk lock their shutters properly I ask myself!!!

So, I am just eating a roast chicken and stuffing sandwich (nom) and am about to re-email the local hotels for their prices of conference rooms. Seriously, trying to do business here takes a lot of patience and time!

Enjoy your book; I have another Mitch Albom book to read... I love his work. I will try to read a few pages in the bath tonight before I slip into an exhaustion coma [Big Grin]

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
@ Cheeky – there has to be some place, I looked at Egyptian Badminton Federation for info and it's as informative as 2005 TV Guide. Their info is mainly for kids with aspirations of being Olympic stars [Roll Eyes] . I'm sure some sporting clubs have facilities, I tried Heliopolis (your area) sporting club, no luck. I've tried facebook too, people are discussing it, yet when someone asks “where can I play badminton” no one replies, as if it's some super-secret sport. I detest unhelpful people. Shame, because it's a great and simple sport. I'm new to it, but so far loving it and the badminton arena is only a 1/2 KM away. [Big Grin]
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
We emailed the Clubs suggested last time but they wanted us to join the clubs as full members which is ridiculous... It is a shame as there are a couple of pro players working here as teachers who would love to play! I know I would love to play, i am quite good at it [Smile]

The lads go to play 5-a-side footy and squash twice a week down by Tiba Rose which is great, but since they have gone regulalry the dude on the desk is trying to double the price. PLEASE!!!

I think it is a shame that in Egypt that sport venues and swimming pools etc aren't more available to the public and are either free or cheap. That is one thing I guess I never really appreciated about the UK. My brothers children can all swim for free daily unti they are 16... and so could I!!!

I would love to go for a nice swim in an olympic size pool, make use of free boards and not have to pay an annual membership fee...

Hey ho. There are a couple of us though who are going on hourly walks regulalry to try to either get in, or stay in shape.

Heliopolis Sporting Club btw is a royal pain in the ass... the tosspots who use that club should learn how to park properly! The times Merghany is at a standstill because although fit dudes use the place they are all too lazy to park 10 minutes away and walk up and all insist on parking directly outside the entrance on the main street... grrr. Honestly, the traffic caused by the place! Zift!

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think one of the MBC Channels is showing 'the wedding' starting at midday KSA time so that's about 11am Egypt time I think maybe without checking?
Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Shanta Gdeeda:
I think one of the MBC Channels is showing 'the wedding' starting at midday KSA time so that's about 11am Egypt time I think maybe without checking?

No good if I'm working 11 to 6 though [Frown] will have to download the youtube of it, unless my favourite Eastenders supplier is taping it, I did put in a request [Big Grin]
marydot
Member # 15932

Member Rated:
Just took in my washing..It's been there for 4 days lol.

Neigbours might start thinking I've died or something haha!!!

Dont have much time for posting on ES too busy with my life [Smile]

It's either work or go out with my partner [Smile]

--------------------

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Enjoying Lionel Messi's magic, now its confirmed Barca will take Man Utd down at Wembley.. [Smile]
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
I missed the match but have loved the comments coming through on Facebook here are a few:

'Masterterchef has been so much better than the boredom of Spanish Football......'

'What a match !!!!!!'

'The more you watch other teams, the more you're glad you're a Saddler!'

'Now thats why hes the best player in the world, take a bow messi!!! ♥ x'

Difficult to gauge really if I would have enjoyed it or not lol.

Desi
Member # 18819

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Desi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmmm...just make peanut butter cup dessert...YUM....
Posts: 7 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
quote:
I think it is a shame that in Egypt that sport venues and swimming pools etc aren't more available to the public and are either free or cheap. That is one thing I guess I never really appreciated about the UK. My brothers children can all swim for free daily unti they are 16... and so could I!!!

I would love to go for a nice swim in an olympic size pool, make use of free boards and not have to pay an annual membership fee...

This is without a doubt one of the biggest issues I had with Cairo –> lack of free and open greenery where people can just chill. Eventually I succumbed to sporting club memberships, before that my only access was when accompanied by a member. Some clubs have temporary membership for foreigners, summer fees for example were $300 (family was double, not sure) @ Nadi Maadi.
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
I have been to several clubs though and really don't like them... Full of pompous tossers!

I'm lucky to live where I do, we have a very beautiful garden we can walk around, nice little haven. Currently sat in traffic with the taxi driver chatting away to me in Arabic about Prince Willoiam!!!

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you might find that free swimming for the under 16s in the UK is no more thanks to Cameron's Cuts!
When I left Walthamstow, an annual subscription to the 25m pool was about £150 but you weren't allowed to go to 'sessions' like aquarobics or whatever. Otherwise you were nudged towards the monthly Wellness thing (where you could attend various classes and use the gym a little) for about £55 a month.
I am so glad I got my club membership before I moved here in 2007 because I believe the joining fee is almost 4x as much now (and also when i joined you could buy a single-person membership and now you have to buy a family membership) and way beyond my pocket.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
William... Sorry, went in a pothole!
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
My neices all still swim for me in their neck of the woods.
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
quote:
I have been to several clubs though and really don't like them... Full of pompous tossers!
[Big Grin] You're a blonde you should start out with at least a point or two higher than everyone else in gaining their acceptance. [Big Grin] A lot of it is for show, the whole pompous thing, some are “nouvea riche” and are literally full of themselves. And really it's these folk that initially drove up club memberships, before the “nouvea riche” arrived, memberships were relatively inexpensive. There are many good people too though, once they get to know you, especially people who are old inhabitants of the area, or the original families that joined the club. That's my experience anyway.
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Go in the morning, never anyone there. My friend and I get a whole Olympic pool to ourselves (with occasionally someone comes along and does a few lengths and disappears again).
We often joke with the minders that it is 'zahma awee, mafeesh makan'

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Just curious do the expats here pick up on the “noueva riche”, meaning are you able to spot them? If so who do you think is the worst of the bunch? There are difference, some are okay, but some flaunt it, are obnoxious and to some extent pigs, like almost literally and some even baltagy (thuggish) attitudes. [Big Grin] Here's my list:

# 1 Egyptian Expats in Saudia Arabia/Kuwait who saved all their money, bought/run a business with Saudi/Kuwaiti partner in Saudi/kuwait, and send a good amount of money back to Egypt. There kids usually go to international schools, but not the prestigious ones. The have new club memberships, an expensive car, but not the type of home for the type of car they have. Meaning the home is usually the same price as the home or cheaper. They eat out often for show, while home they have aish baladi tomatoes. Some of these folks are zift ala zift. Some will act all cocky, bullish in Egypt, but while in Saudi Arabia behave like mice.

# 2 Same as above but from Bahrain

# 3 Well these guys/gals are not as obnoxious as the ones above, but they think they are super cool when they're not, and these are the ones who have migrated to wealthier European nations recently, meaning their children weren't born there.

Next I'll share the ones I have no problem with. Any observations from you guys, or are you like what the heck is Exiiled going about. [Big Grin] As a disclaimer this is my personal observation.

This topic comprises 45 pages: 1  2  3  ...  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com